- Rest, ice and elevate the operative foot/ankle for 15-20 minutes every two hours.
- Keep your post- operative dressing intact. Do not remove it. It is important to keep the dressing clean and dry. Your physician may provide you with additional instructions.
- Take your pain medication as prescribed by your surgeon and only if needed.
- If your surgeon prescribed a fracture boot for you, it is important to wear the boot at all times when walking and standing.
- If your surgeon ordered crutches or a walker for you, it is important to use it as instructed.
- If your surgeon instructed you to not place full weight on your operative foot, it is important to follow your surgeon’s instructions.
- You may see some bloody drainage through your dressing or cast. This is normal 24 hours after your surgery. Elevate your surgical foot/ankle and place an ice pack over the dressing (keep dressing dry) If it does not stop, please notify your surgeon.